(Sorry for the detailed journal entry... two birds, one blog...)I'm a couple weeks behind, but Happy Birthday A.! Now I no longer have three kids ages 3 and under! Life should get a bit simpler now, right? Well my first day with a 4-yr old was definitely NOT simple, but it was fun. Ken wasn't to have a weekend off since baby C was born (of course) so I was on my own for the big birthday bash. Why would I resolve to throw a party when I'm already living the life of a single mother with a 6-week old baby? There was simply no way around it - A. had been planning his 4th B-Day party since last September and inviting his friends to come since after Christmas (I even had mothers asking me when the party was that their child had mentioned being invited to). He has been OBSESSED with having a birthday party. (My advice is not to make a child's 3rd birthday party too much fun.)
So, fitting for a boy born a few hours after Hurricane Katrina tore threw New Orleans, A. requested a TORNADO party. For 10 months he had told us all about the volcano cake he was going to have (since I'd made one for Ken's b-day last year), dripping with carmel and chocolate sauce. Nevertheless, once we started talking about the different tornado activities we could do for his birthday, he decided we just HAD to have a tornado cake.
So here it is, the TORNADO Cake, (complete with flying cows).... before the humidity turned all the cookies into mush and collapsed into a still rather tornado like heap of chocolate on marshmallow cream.
After pin-the-person-on-the house (rather than the surrounding tornadoes) the kids sat down to eat tornado snack (sugar cones with peanut butter play dough, m&ms, etc). I wish I had gotten a better picture, but you'll notice that A. is sitting with his 6 closest friends... ALL GIRLS. Our little Casanova! (Okay, really there is just a major boy shortage here.)
Next we made tornadoes in a bottle (I highly recommend the addition of a Monopoly house for artistic effect), had a relay race (evade the tornado), and played Ring Toss (because a tornado had thrown their goody bags around and they had to ring the toys/candy to take them home). I never could have pulled this off without the help of the Moms that stayed. They were sooo nice and did a LOT to keep things going. What great friends!
One last shot of A. after he built an airplane out of his new Erector set... okay yes, Daddy helped, but Mommy was still impressed little guy.
3 comments:
I am SO impressed!!! I still am lucky if I get a shower in my day and you threw a huge party!! You are amazing!
Looks like A. had a ton of fun for his b-day! Wish we could've been there! Miss you guys!
I feel ashaimed of Ryan's birthday festivities after reading about Aiden's. That sounds amazing! I LOVE the cake! SOOO cool. and how in the world do you make a tornado in a jar?
Post a Comment