Monday, July 21, 2008

I AM SAM, SAM I AM

Before A. was born, we spent countless hours debating baby names. Let it be said that Ken and I have very different views on the matter of names. Lately, I don’t see why we even bothered since A. has gone and picked out a new name for himself anyway. “I Sam,” he continues to tell us. He still answers to his real name, but if he’s having a good time playing he usually insists that SAM wants a big push on the swing, or SAM catch the ball, etc. In fact, last Saturday Ken volunteered to help clean the church bldg (I had a brunch for the new resident’s spouses, so he was on his own with the kids). There was another mommy there who offered to watch the kids and ended up bringing A. to Ken and told him “Sam says he needs to go to the bathroom.” Hee hee! I thought it was pretty funny but Ken (who, by the by had not been fond of “Sam” on my baby name list), isn’t laughing. I’m pretty sure A. just likes to pretend and this won’t last, but I guess you never know. Mom, weren’t you about 3 when you up and decided to go by you middle name – permanently? Well, who am I to squelch a little guys self expression, eh?


(Leslie, Trisha – if you are reading this, know that I blame you two and your little SAMs. :)

He's actually taken a pretty good hold of the pretend play now. He has turned his sandbox/slide area into "Rocket" from his new Little Einstein's DVD. (A pre-moving-please-let-mommy-pack-boxes gift). Here he is steering after filling with his sand-gas meter "to spinning". He's off to space to save the little-piggy (or little-puppy depending on the day). He saw me buy a Little Einsteins rocket bath toy and was SOOO excited... until I told him he had to wait for his birthday. Bummer. He's finally stopped calling it a "time machine" (from Meet the Robinsons, still the only full length film he's watched from beginning to end). I'm thinking of doing a rocket themed birthday for him... but that would require creativity.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Aiden's a pretty cute little Sam. I'm glad you started a blog. I've been thinking about you lately. Email me your number so we can keep in touch.-Leslie

Tracy said...

HA HA HA HA Aiden.. or "Sam" is about the funniest kid EVER!!! that is a great story!

Lacey said...

Monica, thanks for posting on my blog. I was excited to see that you did and check out your blog as well. Your two kids are absolutely adorable. Do you live far away? It sounded like you did from the post about "so many people living 1000's of miles away". Thanks again for posting! -Lacey

Anna and Dell said...

I love that aiden or sam is into rockets. Henry is too. He has these little space shuttles that he carries with him everywhere. Oh and if you do want to do a rocket party, I've got a really easy way to make little rockets out of craft foam. We did it while babysitting two little hellions and needed something creative. So we made rockets and then spent 30 minutes "launching" them off the deck. If you want to know how to make them let me know.