Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 2010

New Years Day at Ryan and Lucinda's house. The kids enjoyed decorating their rice-krispy snowmen. Oh -which reminds me that I wanted to write about A.'s Christmas gifts he gave. A. saved up money from his chores and before Christmas I took him to the dollar store to pick out gifts for all of his little cousins. The way it worked out (in AZ) is as each family came to visit at Mom and Dad's house, A. would hand out his presents and watch as his cousins opened their late/surprise Christmas gifts. It was especially neat because A. had already opened his presents from cousins (they had been left under Mom and Dads tree already), so the attention was soley on his gift GIVING. He was so filled with happy joy as he handed out presents that he was literaly jumping up and down with his cute little grin plastered to his face. I can mark this as the time that A. would begin to randomly wrap gifts (colored rubber bands, drawings, buttons, rocks, pencils, and even coins) and hand them out to Jonas or I - even up to today in Jan 2011 (I got fruit snacks and a sparkly plastic flower!). He is such a sweet kid. I'm so glad he had an opportunity to feel that joy so strongly. Jan 9, 2010 Baby C. was (finally) blessed at the 32nd Street building in AZ. After the blessing we invited everyone to a park down the street for sand volleyball, playground and food. The weather was perfect and baby C behaved himself quite well.
Grandma Lainey put forth great effort to attend as well, but for some reason we didn't get a picture of her there with you C. I'm sorry about that. To tell the truth, it was nearly impossible for me to take a picture of my Mom once we knew she had cancer. Don't believe me? Just scan through our pictures. If MoM is in them, they were taken by Ken or my Dad. I'm so terribly heartbroken by this -- I want to have pictures of my kids with this great woman that is my Mother! But they each have only 3 or 4 to show in our files for the years they actually got to spend with her. I'm greatful my Dad took a few with his camera when we visited, but just like me it is Mom that was usually behind the camera.

Fun in AZ. Boys first 3D movie, first hike with Ken and A. graduationg to a bicycle. Mom (Grandma Lainey) was so tickled when A. was standing in front of the fridge with his cup in one hand and J.'s in the other and had to ask, "Grandma? Will you do a nice service for me and close the fridge?" What a sweatheart. And here he was doing a service for J. while he was at it!

Mom and Dad's 40th Wedding Anniversary. Isn't this a great shot? Thank you Ken. Mom and Dad put a lot of planning in to celebrate the big day. First we had pictures taken of the family (in our backyard in front of the orange trees - very cool), then we ditched the kids (with the pre-arranged babysitters and pre-packed sack lunches, which Mom took time to individually draw pictures on for each of the grandkids), and went to the Landmark for lunch. It was such a great idea to have just the adults together. Dad had asked us each to prepare somthing to say and if you know us Fishs you would probably guess that we went well past our alotted time for sharing funny stories and cleverly delivered memories. Ryan made us laugh. Trevor made us cry. Nate got roudy, and I had to wait to go last as always. We ended up having to give-up on the temple-sealing plan, but it didn't rob us of some immensly heartfelt, unifying time regardless. Thank you Mom and Dad for the day. Thank you for doing what it took to maintain a loving relationship for 40 YEARS. Thank you for your example, your love, and the unique and loveing environment we were allowed to grow in. There is nobody like you two.

Brotherly Binky time! Taken the day I decided to give J. his binky back so he would start taking naps again. (Just for naptime, not bedtime. Worked great with A. and is still working some naptime wonders with J.!)

1 comment:

Deanna said...

welcome back! I've been waiting and waiting for you!